Sunday, June 29, 2014

Split Rock Scramble

I love Wyoming. I love it. I can't wait to go back. 

A few weeks ago, I spent the morning channeling my 8-year-old self. There was a turn-out along the road with a sign that read, "Split Rock." I remembered the name from somewhere, so I decided to investigate. It was a great decision.


Split Rock is a fascinating geological feature on the vast, other-worldly landscape of Wyoming. And I spent the morning climbing all over it. I felt like a little kid, scrambling over rocks and peeking into all of the nooks and crannies. It wasn't long before I was openly smiling like an idiot -- the only person for miles.

I walked around the edge of a massive boulder, where I was greeted by a tiny hare. Aside from the mild surprise it must have experienced at my sudden presence, it was completely unphased by my proximity, and went about its bunny business while I lingered nearby.



I climbed, crawled, and hiked all the way to the back of the formation, where I was rewarded with a (literally) breath-taking view. I was worn out from all that playtime. I sat down for a breather and took a selfie:



I had a beautiful morning; Split Rock was just what I needed to invigorate my spirit. I can't wait to explore more of this incredible state.


1 comment: