Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Yellowstone


I was rather looking forward to exploring America's First National Park. Unfortunately, the experience ended up feeling less like a commune with nature and more like a shuffle through an overcrowded amusement park. I think a lot of that had to do with the contrast of the serene solitude of Shoshone National Forest. I didn't spend a lot of time in Yellowstone; I parked at the few areas I could find a parking spot at and only took a few photos. If I do visit again, it will definitely be during the off-season.



I loved the geysers, the burbling hot springs, and the sounds and smells of the water and water vapor. Little tree swallows flitted among the spouting hot springs, cruising for snacks. They seemed to enjoy flying through the mists.




I did see the bison (and evidence thereof! They walk right over the geothermal areas!), and a small herd of massive elk. 


Yellowstone is a gorgeous area with an important geological history -- and future. If I do ever return, I'll make certain that it is in the winter or spring. I can handle a few closed roads for a little more peace and quiet. ;) 



I stepped in a lot of bison dung to get that shot. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment