Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Flat Rock Park


One time, while visiting family, my little sister and I took a day trip and wandered Flat Rock Park in Columbus, Georgia. As you can see, the water level was low when we went; depending on the time of year, the water can be the merest trickle or it can be a unyielding torrent. 

The rocks are very slippery when wet! When the water is at a manageable level, you can slide down the rocks as if on a water slide. Expect bruises. ;)


 I spent the time testing out a Panasonic DSLR that I later returned. I liked the camera; really, I did. It was just a matter of having to choose between two DSLRs, and the Canon won out. If I had the money, I would've kept both.



We found a turtle luxuriating in the muck of one of the many little streams in the park. Check out the algae growth on his shell... and that frown. Sorry for interrupting your quiet time, little brother.

If you've been following this blog for any amount of time, then you might have noticed that I tend to photograph the way that light plays off of objects, plants, and scenes. These next two photos below are no exception to that rule:




My sister and I pointed out various objects and plants to each other as we wandered around the park. At one point, we discovered a broken tree trunk, weathered to a driftwood-like texture and weight. We both agreed that it looked rather like a steer skull, horns and all, so we took turns "modeling" it for maximum effect.



The temperatures began to climb to uncomfortable heights, so we decided to end our visit to Flat Rock Park. We had a lot of fun; hiking, scaling the rocks around the natural water slide, swinging on the swings in the park's playground, and taking lots of photos. I look forward to our next adventure together.



No comments:

Post a Comment