Thursday, August 14, 2014

Rethinking the van

Since I returned from my cross-country adventure, I've had a different vision for my van stewing in the crockpot of my mind. Today, I started stripping the interior to help me better visualize where I'd like to go with the design. It's strange to see the van without all of my camping stuff in there.

Right now, my inverter is sitting on a shelf just above the left wheel well, and there is a media shelf and counter top built over the opposite wheel well. I'm going to disassemble these so I can build a long couch on one side and a larger entertainment unit on the opposite side.

Think of it as being less "doomsday prepper chic" and more "party bus." I want to install some overhead LEDs, a place to store beverages, and a sound system.

I already have the foundations laid out for me; it's just a matter of finding the time to work on it and learning a few more skills -- upholstery being the main one. I'm lucky in that I still have leftover wood and other materials from the first conversion. Less money to spend!

This is a long-term project, so expect updates to be sparse, but detailed; much more so than when I first converted the van to a camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment